Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Fifth Wheelers: The Basement 5k- A blog post from June 2008.

I have two blogs, I think I've mentioned that before. A couple of days ago I posting like MAD on the family blog, there were lots of updates to give on the kids. I wanted to get a little comparison of heights between my children at similar ages (the baby had just had her 9 month check up) so I was looking through old blog posts and that got me feeling a little nostalgic. And so tonight I decided to go all the way back to the beginning and I was kind of amazed. One, because it was a post about running, trying to be healthy and weight loss. AND because I've come a long way! So I decided to share that post here. Feel free to give it a click.

The Fifth Wheelers: The Basement 5k: In Early 2007 I decided that it was time to take take my health seriously and lose weight. And so I set the goal that I was going to run a 5...

So on June 28th, 2008 I ran 3.1 miles. It took me 45 minutes. This morning I ran 4.5 miles it took me 49 minutes. I remember one of my early 5k's, I got passed by someone that was walking. I was RUNNING! For short periods of time both my feet were off the ground and that person was just a really fast walker. I haven't been passed by anyone who is walking lately. In fact I've been making progress speed wise. I still have some work to do, I've been faster than I am currently, but I'm pretty happy with what I've been able to accomplish.

I also talked in that post about how, prior to my first pregnancy, I had been able to lose 25 pounds. Then about 1 year after becoming pregnant I realized I was at the same weight I was before losing that weight, and so I had high hopes that I would once again be able to lose that same 25 pounds, and maybe even 25 more. Well, It's taken a few more years than I had probably hoped and expected, but yeah, It's happening! And it's awesome.

My body's favorite weight used to be 202 pounds. Prior to my second pregnancy I was at 183, I was able to get down to 150 by the time my second boy was about 16 months old. I worked hard, I felt good. I had an injury and gained some weight, then I had some surgeries and gained some weight. I was only back up to the 170s. I was able to start running again and somehow, through the ups and downs (emotional and weight wise) of two miscarriages I was eventually able to get to 160 before finding out that I was pregnant again. At the time I was half way through training for a Half Marathon, and my doctor approved of my continuing training and running that race. I stopped losing weight, and actually gained quite easily, even during my 20 mile weeks! A beautiful baby girl joined our family last November. In January I found myself at 183 again, and by May I was still struggling to get under and stay under that dreaded 183. I hoped it hadn't become my body's new favorite weight. (though I would definitely take 183 over 202.)

That 2008 Kate, the one who ran the Basement 5k, she has inspired me. I have hope, I have high hopes. Not only have I lost that first 25 pounds, I'm well on my way to lose the second 25 she had hoped for (in fact I've only got about 8 pounds to go on that second 25) and then I'm into uncharted territory. Like I said in a post yesterday, My goal weight, the weight I hope to hit and stay at for the rest of my life (or at least 2-3 pounds on either side of) is 145. I don't know what that's going to be like, but if that's what is going to keep me healthy and able to play with and keep up with my kids, I'll gladly do it.

So thanks, 2008 Kate, I'm proud of you and I know that you are proud of me too! We rock!

No comments: