Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sept 30th? What?

Slacker! Slacker, Slacker, Slacker!
Well the good news is- I have lost 0.4 pounds since September 30th!!! Truth is I lost 2 pounds, then gained 5, then lost 3, then gained 4 and then lost 5. So basically, over the extended Holiday Season, from October to January, I managed to maintain my weight. I also ran a 5k on Thanksgiving day. That was pretty fun. I think I will do it every year.

NOW- back to work. I must get healthy, I must run! See Kate Run is about how I run, right? So I have set some goals for myself, for this year, and possibly even next year too.

This year I am going to run a 10k and a half Marathon. While I was looking for races I noticed that South Jordan UT puts on several every year, a whole series in fact, and I had decided to run their Earth Day 10k on Earth Day- April 22nd. Now, oddly enough, that day is a Friday and so the race is in the afternoon. I was OK with this. But plans changed pretty fast when I heard about a different race the next day.

Hope for Sarah 2011 is a 5k and breakfast fundraiser to help Sarah who has been battling cancer for 4 years. Sarah is a wonderful woman. She is a wife, a mother and a friend. She and her young family live in my neighborhood and when I saw that there was a 5k, with 100% of the proceeds going to help her and her family I decided that I would much rather support her than South Jordan. Not that South Jordan is a bad place, it is just not Sarah. So I am going to run the 5k twice! (As I have been typing this and looking up the information again I noticed that it now says 5k/10k) If you live in Utah, you should come support Sarah. The race cost $15 and for non racers they are asking for a minimum $10 donation for the breakfast- this donation would cover your whole family. So come and race or come and donate $10, $20, $50 and cheer for the racers and then eat! YEAH!

Okay, so that is my 10k. In September I am going to run in the 3rd annual Temple to Temple Half Marathon. More about that later.

So how am I going to achieve these lofty goals? Well. I know I can run 6+ miles because I did it several times last year. I am not ready to go out and do it right now, not by a long shot. So I got online and googled 10k and half marathon training programs. and Hal Higdon had some. I printed out 3. The 5k intermediate, 10k novice and half Marathon novice training programs and I have already started. I figured I would start with the 5k to work my self up to the amount of running you have to do for the 10k program and time wise, with a little tweaking, I will be ready for the 10k right on time, and then I have plenty of time to prepare for the Half Marathon. I may be insane, but I am really excited about this year. It is going to be a good year!

Now, back to South Jordan and their Race Series, They have 7 races this year and you can sign up for each individually for $20-$45 a pop, or you can do 6 of them for $120 (I think) or all 7 for a little more. They have 5k's, 10k's, Challenge Course races, Trail Runs and a Marathon. IF I can (meaning If I am pregnant and get doctors permission) I am going to sign up for the 6 out of 7 series. NEXT YEAR.

So those are my goals.

Oh, and today's weight was 181.6. Have a fantastic week!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Hal Higdon is always my go-to for race training schedules. They are just the most reasonable and easiest to adapt to Sunday. Good Luck. Those races sound fabulous and I know, from personal experience, that races are great motivation.

Getting healthy is a grand goal, one I'm working on as well. It was kind of sobering to realize when my friend's husband needs a kidney and I am the right blood type to begin testing to see if I'm a match, but my BMI knocks me out of consideration. How many other things does my health impact that I don't even know about?

Have you looked at trainermomma.com? I swear this woman is LDS, though she doesn't mention it. But she is a mom, and a trainer, largely because of the large amounts of weight she lost getting healthy. She has great ideas and great recipes. I made her yummy muesli this morning.